Imperial Logistics set on buying a major forwarder as it eyes expansion in Africa
Imperial Logistics is the $3.5bn company you’ve never heard of – except, you have. It owns Palletways, Europe’s ...
ShareHouse – the innovative digital warehouse platform launched by Imperial Logistics at the beginning of 2018 – has added two new functions to its portal, to make the process of finding or letting storage space even easier for users.
Visitors to the ShareHouse site can now request offers direct from suitable warehouse providers, and message them with any additional questions. Warehouse providers can then respond to these questions and create a tailored offer through the platform.
“Our users told us that communication before committing to a storage space is really important for both parties, as warehousing is a complex matter,” says Jörg Klöpper, ShareHouse’s Managing Director. “The activity on our platform has increased dramatically since we launched this feature, proving its value to our users.”
The Berlin-based startup has also launched an “Experts Service”: if a user cannot find a suitable warehouse on the platform database, he can advise his requirements to the expert team at ShareHouse via chat, e-mail or phone. Explains Jan Hepke, Head of Marketing & Sales at ShareHouse: “We have a network of more than 4,000 logistics companies all over Germany that are additional to those already on the platform. From this pool, our experts can locate the right warehouse for even the most complex request.”
ShareHouse can be used to provide or find temporary- or long-term storage – whether rack- or floor space in multi-user premises, or entire buildings. The ShareHouse searchable database currently lists more than 1.000.000 m2 of space in over 200 locations throughout Germany, with plans to expand internationally in the near future. Listing available space on ShareHouse is free of charge: owners only pay a commission when a letting contract is signed.
Continues Jörg Klöpper: “ShareHouse is solving the biggest problems in warehousing: companies don’t know how to find and book storage space quickly and easily, and warehouse space providers don’t know who their target users are, or how much it will cost to secure a deal.”
He concludes: “These new functions are our latest moves to streamline and speed up the business of matching warehouse supply and demand. Although ShareHouse is essentially a digital solution, we also acknowledge when human intervention can assist our process.”
For further information, please contact:
Derek Jones, Account Director
Phone +44 20 8941 5381
About Imperial Logistics:
Imperial Logistics has three divisions, of which Imperial Logistics International is one:
· Imperial Logistics is an integrated outsourced logistics service provider with a diversified presence across Africa and Europe
· Over 30 000 staff at 340 locations in 38 countries
· Provides customised value-add logistics, supply chain management and route-to-market solutions to multinational clients in selected geographic markets and industries.
· Specialists in logistics for agriculture, automotive, chemicals, energy, consumer packaged goods, industrial, mining, healthcare
· 2018 revenue: R51,4bn and operating profit of R2,8bn
Imperial Logistics International:
· One of three divisions of Imperial Logistics (the others are South Africa and African Regions)
· Headquartered in Duisburg, Germany (State of North Rhine-Westphalia)
· Responsible for all group logistics activity outside Africa
· Operations span forwarding, shipping (60m tonnes pa), liquid/general road freight (600 trucks), barge operations (600 owned, rented and chartered motorized and non-motorized units), express freight (Western Europe’s largest network for palletized express freight, 10m pallets pa), and 3PL/4PL services
· Unmatched capability in the European chemical industry, with more than 60 chemical tankers, 15 gas tankers and 23 specialised warehouses
· In South America, 84 barges and 7 push boats transport over 2.2 million tons per year
· Over 9000 employees at 170 locations in 20 countries
· 2.2m sq m of covered storage space
· Specialisations in automotive, industrial, retail and consumer, steel, chemicals